MTB Rockrider 5 as Tourer

Rockrider 5.0 as touring bicycle

Modifying of my entry level geared MTB bicycle Btwin Rockrider 5.0 into a capable and cost-effective tourer.

Few months back, my friend and I did a self-supported bicycle tour. My bicycle was the Btwin Rockrider 5.3 - a proper hard tail, front suspension, disc brake, sram3 3x8 geared MTB. With requirements for the trip in my backpack, had to use 3 bungee chords to set it onto the seat post rack that I fitted onto my bicycle. This setup was just not right as the bag kept flipping onto one side while riding. This had me wanting to set up a basic and decent enough, yet a proper touring bike. A thorough touring bike like Surly LHT or a BF NWT is expensive and was out of my budget. So had to improvise and come up with my very own cost effective touring bike to start with.

Decathlon had a clearance sale going on and came about the RockRider 5.0 that was selling at Rs.7500/- as against its original selling price of Rs.9999/-, which was a super deal. The Btwin RockRider 5.0 comes with basic Shimano 21-gear grip-shift, rigid steel frame, no suspension, 26" wheels with 26" x 2" rigid bead MTB tyres. Seemed a perfect candidate for a tourer. Pondered much over the question - with a very good MTB (RockRider 5.3) already in possession, would buying a second bike be a good idea? The price of the bike was just too hard to ignore and so purchased the bike along with Decathlon rear pannier bags. The rear rack available at the Decathlon store however was just too heavy, so chose to figure where else to buy it from.

Conversion of MTB to a touring bicycle

For mudguards and a rear pannier rack, I could have bought ones available at a LBS (local bike shop) for much less price but preferred not to. Few days later, purchased online SKS fenders and Tortec rear pannier pack from Evans Cycles. Checked with my boss in the UK who was to come to Bangalore the coming weekend and he was willing to bring it along with him. Many many heartfelt thanks, Gwil. Unfortunately, he had to pay duty for the two items at the customs.

However, I was really glad to get the items. While at home, took me less than half an hour to fix the rear rack but fixing the fenders needed little extra effort. Removed the wheels and placed the fenders in place. Had to buy a hacksaw and a filer from a hardware store to cut off the extra length on steel rods that hold the fenders in place. Two days later, after dinner continued to work on it and in about 3 hours, finished the entire set up.

Bicycle ready for touring

Featured post

Overlanding IN to SG - Part 3

Motorcycle trip from Bengaluru (India) to Singapore covering 7000km, in January 2019 by three friends. This third part covers Myanmar an...